This is the Museum's old web site. For the new web site go to: http://oldoperatingtheatre.com

50th Anniversary of the Opening of the Old Operating Theatre Museum

This page is in course of construction - let us know of any errors

27 October 1962

On 27 October 1962 'the Operating Theatre of Old St Thomas's Hospital' was officially opened by two eminent surgeons.

   

There are very few images of the original opening of the Museum by Sir Arthur Porritt, but an image of the official invitation and photograph of the opening survive.

 

the official invitation to the opening of the museum
   

Sir Arthur (left in photo) was a distinguished New Zealander who was Surgeon General to Queen Elizabeth and President of both the British Medical Association and the Royal College of Surgeons of England at the time he opened the Old Operating Theatre Museum. His distinguished career can be followed on wikipedia.

The Rt. Hon. The Lord Brock of Wimbledon MB BS FRCS FRCP (right in photo) Lord Brock was born in London, trained at Guys and became a pioneer of a new generation of heart surgeons. He worked in the US, Guys and various other hospitals. Further information on Lord Brock can be found on wikipedia.

the official opening of the Museum, black and white photo
 

1956 - the re-discovery of the Operating Theatre of Old St. Thomas's Hospital

1957-1962 - the Restoration of the Operating Theatre

27th October 1962 - The Official Opening of the Operating Theatre of Old St Thomas's Hospital

1962 - 1989 - The Operating Theatre of the United Borough Hospitals of Guys & St Thomas'

1989 - 2012 - The Old Operating Theatre, Museum and Herb Garret

27th October 2012 - the 50th Anniversary of the The Old Operating Theatre, Museum and Herb Garret

 

   

 

29/10/2012 KPF